Franco Bassanini, former Italian Cabinet Minister for Public Administration and Regional Affairs (1996-2001) and Professor of Constitutional Law at the First University of Rome, is now Special Adviser to the Italian Prime Minister and President of Astrid Foundation, an Italian think tank gathering together about 350 scientists and experts in the field of European and National institutions, public policies, public administration’s reform, market regulation and e-government (www.astrid.eu).
He is also Honorary Chairman of the Long-Term Investors’ Club, President of the Supervisory Board of Condotte d’Acqua Inc., Chairman of the Executive Boards of Open Fiber Inc. and of CDP Reti Inc.(holding controlling Snam and Terna Inc.). He is member of the Advisory boards of FFSA and of Fe.B.A.F.
He has been member of the Italian Parliament from 1979 to 2006 and Chairman of Cassa Depositi e Prestiti (the Italian National Development Bank) from 2008 to 2015. He has been member of the E.N.A.(École Nationale d’Administration) Executive Board (2001-2005), of the Comité d’évaluation des stratégies ministérielles de réforme (2003-2005), of the Commission pour la Libération de la Croissance française (Attali Committee), of the Commission pour la coopération euro-méditerranéenne (Milhaud Committee) and of the High Level Panel of the U.N. ICT Task Force (2001-2005).
Franco Bassanini was Cabinet Minister for Public Administration and Regional Affairs in the Government led by Romano Prodi (1996-1998), Under-secretary of State to Prime Minister’s Office and responsible for the Cabinet Office in the first Government led by Massimo D’Alema (1998-1999), Cabinet Minister for Public Administration in the second Government led by Massimo D’Alema (1999-2000) and in the second Government led by Giuliano Amato (2000-2001). During those years, he carried out a wide and comprehensive reform program of the Italian administrative system. In Italian Parliament, he has been Chairman of the Committee for Monetary Policy and Budget (1987-1990) and Chairman of the Parliamentary Group of the Independent Left (1988-1991).
From 1965 to 2001 Franco Bassanini has taught in the Universities of Milan, Trento, Sassari, Florence and Rome. He is the author of 19 books and about 350 academic papers on issues of constitutional law, public finance, European law and administrative law. www.bassanini.it
- Una Costituzione per l’Europa. Dalla Convenzione europea alla Conferenza intergovernativa. Franco Bassanini and Giulia Tiberi, ed. , Bologna, Il Mulino, 2003
- L’attuazione del federalismo fiscale. Una proposta, Franco Bassanini and Giorgio Macciotta ed., Bologna, Il Mulino, 2004
- Costituzione. Una riforma sbagliata, Franco Bassanini ed., Firenze, Passigli, 2004
- Sviluppo o declino. Il ruolo delle istituzioni per la competitività del paese, Luisa Torchia and Franco Bassanini ed. , Firenze, Passigli, 2005
- Per far funzionare il Parlamento, Andrea Manzella and Franco Bassanini ed., Bologna, Il Mulino, 2007
- Semplificare l’Italia, Franco Bassanini and Luca Castelli ed. , Firenze, Passigli, 2008
- Le nuove istituzioni europee. Commento al Trattato di Lisbona, Franco Bassanini and Giulia Tiberi ed., rev. ed., Bologna, Il Mulino 2010
- Il finanziamento dell’Europa, Maria Teresa Salvemini and Franco Bassanini ed., Firenze, Passigli 2010
- Il federalismo alla prova: regole, politiche, diritti nelle Regioni, Luciano Vandelli e Franco Bassanini ed., Bologna, Il Mulino 2012
- Per il governo del Paese. Proposte di politiche pubbliche, Firenze, Passigli, 2013